What if school introduced you to exciting new possibilities and you got to choose what to learn?
What if school was a place where you could be yourself?
What if school was joyful? What if school was kind?
High School Montessori Families Have a Place at GVS
We are an international K-12 homeschool diploma program that empowers students to cultivate their gifts and passions by engaging them in a creative, flexible education process grounded in the principles of peace, justice, diversity, and sustainability. We partner with schools, groups, and individual families to provide the kind of education that prepares students to be wise and capable stewards of the planet and each other.
Montessori homeschooling families are welcome to enroll their children in Global Village School. Global Village will be the official “school of record,” maintaining student files, providing written evaluations, issuing official transcripts, and providing diplomas upon graduation. We will provide curriculum (regular or customized) and individualized teacher support. Families can also choose to purchase curriculum only, or to work with Global Village teachers on selected courses. Other families may wish to have us develop a customized curriculum for them, and then work with it on their own. Families can also use our learning styles profile, whether or not they wish to enroll.
How is Global Village School compatible with Montessori school methodologies, values, and principles?
- We know that children inherently want to learn and will do so on their own, provided they have the appropriate materials from which to choose.
- Global Village students work at their own pace and are encouraged to collaborate with their teachers to customize the curriculum to match their unique interests and needs. By providing a nurturing environment, we can cultivate a love of learning that lasts a lifetime.
- Maria Montessori believed that the first duty of the educator – whether involved with young babies or older children – was to recognize the human personality of the individual and to respect it. This is a core belief of ours as well.
- We offer the A Self-Portrait learning style assessment, which helps the student, their teachers and parents to understand the individual learning style of the student. The profile provides detailed information about their disposition, modality (tactile-kinesthetic, visual picture learner, etc.), interests, and talents, along with detailed suggestions for working with the various dispositions. As the "home teacher," we encourage parents to explore their own learning styles.
- Like Maria Montessori, we believe that educating for peace is essential. Her statement in Education and Peace from so many years ago still rings true: “Bringing up the subject of an education for peace in such critical times as these, when society is continually threatened by the possibility of war, may appear to be the most naïve kind of idealism. I nonetheless believe that laying the foundations for peace through education is the most effective and the most constructive way of opposing the war, since people’s needs today in no way justify armed combat, and since war offers them no hope whatsoever of bettering their lot.”
- Global Village curriculum is designed to cultivate empathy, encourage introspection, and inspire action to serve the planet as global citizens.
"It has been great to witness all Eleni has learned from this class. I have been impressed when she shares or offers her opinion about a Global Spirituality topic, especially with adults. Thank you for offering this great class!"
Cheryl, HS parent
What makes Global Village School so unique?
Our Mission, Vision, and Values
How our program works
Global Village families choose between structured text and online curriculum; fully customized curriculum based on their individual interests, needs, and learning styles; or – for those who are already experienced homeschoolers – using their own curriculum. We offer a wide variety of classes. Core subjects such as English, history, math, and science often contain peace, diversity, and environmental themes. We also offer specialized courses such as Planetary Stewardship, Reflections on Peacemaking, Literature of Diversity, LGBT Literature, and a variety of other classes that address current issues in the world and provide students with role models and examples of peaceful social change.
GVS teachers assist each student individually and provide feedback, support, and documentation.
Students can earn elective credit for many different kinds of life experiences, such as travel, participating in cultural events, performing in community theater productions, pursuing a career in athletics or the film industry, or starting their own business. Global Village youth engage in a wide range of activities, including: studying anatomy, working on political campaigns, studying science at local national parks and wilderness areas, writing novels and screenplays, publishing alternative newspapers, learning their tribal language and traditions, and operating home recording studios. Many Global Village students get a head start on the next leg of their journey by enrolling in community college courses while working towards their high school diploma.
Partnering with schools and groups
Giving presentations at different Montessori conferences has given us the opportunity to speak with a number of Montessori educators and parents. We have found that people can make use of our services in various ways. Some Montessori schools may have everything they need except for some curriculum. Others may want to continue to support their upper grade students, but do not have the time or resources to create a new program for them. Global Village can provide a full program, be the official school of record and provide full curriculum and teacher support. Or, we can “fill in the gaps,” in those cases where a school might only need a few courses and a limited amount of teacher support, or perhaps might want to use our learning styles profile and/or have us design individualized curriculum for their students.
Come Alive with Global Village School!
because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
Learn more about Global Village School's accredited distance learning program
[ i ] Parallax section below. Click on the section below to upload image. Don't worry if it looks weird in the Weebly editor. It'll look normal on your published site.
To edit or delete your image, press the "toggle" button below. Then, hover over your image until a popup appears with the "edit" and "delete" options. If you don't want a white content section, leave it blank. It will disappear on your live website.
Celebrating Diversity: We believe that every student has the right to receive an education in a safe, supportive environment. We welcome people regardless of race, color, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, age, sex, gender, or disability. We celebrate the richness and diversity of our world and invite you to do the same.
Global Village School® is a project of Community Partners, a non-profit organization.